A group of four 'draw kilns' is depicted on the south-east side of Dell Point on a map of 1759. The map shows the estate of Thomas Wood, the landowner and entrepreneur who developed Beadnell's quarrying, lime-burning and other industries in the 18th century (Northumberland HER, PRN N24080). Site is now formed by a stone-built structure eroding out of the cliff face, thought to represent the remains of one of the limekilns.
Post-Medieval (1540 - 1901)
The earliest date of the feature, as a year, if known
The latest date of the feature, as a year, if known
Monument Type - Broad
Monument Type - Narrow
Evidence Type - Broad
Evidence Type - Narrow
Man-made, roofless edifice or construction visible as substantial aboveground remains retaining evidence of architecture and materials, but which has been substantially destroyed.
Object Type - Broad
Object Type - Narrow
Height OD (m)
How accessible is the feature?
Accessible on foot (no footpath)
Access to the site is across the foreshore, caution needs to be observed. Site is located on edge of cliff, which may be unstable.