Mediaeval lime kiln situated to the North of St Ebba's Chapel and monastic complex. The kiln was partly exposed by storms in the 1980s and as a result was partly excavated, the last firing being archaeomagnetically dated to 1480-1510. The kiln was found to be stone-lined with natural bedrock forming the base of the singular circular pot. A single arched drawing flue on the North side and a possible stoking hole on the East side were also recorded. A possible working pit containing deposits of ash, lime, sand and charcoal fragments was recognised to the West.
Medieval (410 - 1540)
The earliest date of the feature, as a year, if known
The latest date of the feature, as a year, if known