A rock cut bathing pool associated with the Bathing House and the 2nd Earl Grey's Family. The bathing pool built in the early 19th century was used by the Grey family who owned Howick Hall. The 2nd Earl grey built the bathing house and pool for his children to use.
The pool is a square structure with steps down into it. A set of steps leading from the the Bathing House to the pool are cut into the rock. The step down into the pool are in the south-east corner of the pool. There is a channel cut into the rocks in the north-west corner to allow the sea water to fill the pool.
Post-Medieval (1540 - 1901)
Early 19th Century
The earliest date of the feature, as a year, if known
The latest date of the feature, as a year, if known
Monument Type - Broad
Monument Type - Narrow
Evidence Type - Broad
Evidence Type - Narrow
Object Type - Broad
Object Type - Narrow
Height OD (m)
How accessible is the feature?
Accessible - difficult terrain, Accessible on foot (footpath)
The steps down to it are on private land and the Bathing House is self-catered private accommodation.